Summary of walk led by Jenny Galton-Fenzi in April 2013:

On Saturday 13 April Jenny Galton-Fenzi led a walk round LH churchyard. The aim was to use LH History Archive material and local knowledge to give a deeper understanding of how the churchyard developed, and to point out some of the graves of former parishioners.LH burial records begin in Oct 1546, and it is clear that approximately 2000 parishioners are buried in the area of the churchyard, although only a small proportion of these have marked graves. Most people were too poor to afford a stone, and wooden crosses soon disintegrated.

By J. Stabb

London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)

Page 147

Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters

Full text available at

http://www.wissensdrang.com/dstabb.htm

Prepared by Michael Steer

Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.

LITTLE HEMPSTON. St. John the Baptist. The church was rebuilt in 1439 and consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch with parvise over it, and embattled west tower with four bells, the first dated 1847, the second and fifth 1700, the remaining two are early bells with legends in Old English characters. The chancel retains a piscina with shelf, and also the ancient priest's doorway.

Additional information