LITTLE HEMPSTON, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, county Devon, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes, its post town. The village, which is small and irregularly built, stands on the road from Exeter to Plymouth, in a valley near the river Dart and the South Devon railway. The land is chiefly arable. Limestone is quarried for burning into lime.

Transcribed by Val HENDERSON

Page 510

HEMPSTON (LITTLE) is a village and parish in Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 244 inhabitants, and 1270 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, East Devonshire; 2 miles north-east from Totnes, near to the river Dart. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Fitz-Henry Hele, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1838, at £207 per annum, with residence and 56A. 2R. 11P. of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

LITTLE HEMPSTON, a small scattered village, in a valley opening to the Dart, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes ; has in its parish 268 souls, and 1270A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land. The manor, anciently held by the Arundells, belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess of Sandwich ; but F. Cornish, Esq., and other freeholders have estates here.

Additional information